Applications for access and custody of children are generally made to the Magistrate’s Court, as well as applications for maintenance of a spouse or children and applications for protection from domestic abuse.

The Supreme Court only may grant a divorce and divorce petitions must be filed with the Supreme Court. Matters concerning the division of matrimonial property are also dealt with by the Supreme Court.

The priority of both courts is the welfare of any child and the courts are concerned with helping applicants resolve their disputes as quickly and as sensitively as possible.